Friday, August 16, 2013

SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!!!!

EVERY damn morning.   Why is it that I have to have that mental battle at 5AM every morning of my long run.  I try to go to bed early, I start trying to sleep at 9:30, have the alarm set but as soon as it goes off, I roll over and say "Do I really want to do this?"  I drag my butt out of bed, slap in the contacts, brush my teeth, grab some oatmeal, load up all the gear that I need to run in the dark and then in the sun and head out the front door trying desperately not to wake my kids.
This morning I had an epic battle in my head. I've been battling my stomach for the past week, stressing over a bridal shower, bachelorette party, my daughters birthday party and then her first day of school and it has finally caught up with me. I have a cold, the snot dripping down your throat, runny nose, sore throat in the AM kind of cold.  That just screams, "GO BACK TO BED!!!" While running I looked at my calender, mentally adjusted my half program, told myself I would be okay if I only ran 7 this AM and ran the 9 next week. I had this battle from mile 1 to mile 6 and then I just said suck it up and go. It was cold, my ears and fingers were cold (I HATE having cold hands, I always am in gloves), I had to constantly spit because of the snot and I couldn't eat any of my normal fuel because of the issues with my stomach.  I had a myriad of excuses why I should stop, why I should decrease the mileage, why I should move it to another day but I was out there and I finally told that voice in my head to "SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP!!" I was up, I went to bed early the night before, I did everything I needed to do to prep for the run, I did not want to have to do it again on Saturday.  I trudged through those 9 miles, ran it at a respectable 9:00/mile pace (respectable to me) and called it a day!!
Anyone else have some running demons they battle with?  How often do you let them win?  How in the world do people run early EVERY day????

No comments:

Post a Comment